This document is a Financial Services Guide (“FSG”) and is provided to you by Think Capital Pty Ltd (“us”, “we”, or “Advisor”). The Advisor acts for and is an authorised representative of Australian Financial Directions Pty Ltd (“AFD”). AFD is a licensed Australian Financial Services Licensee within the meaning of the Corporations Act 2001.
Before obtaining financial services from us, you probably have several questions you would like to ask us. You have the right to ask about our charges, the type of services we can provide and what you can do if you have a complaint about our services.
Key information is set out in answer to the questions below. If you need more information or clarification, please ask us.
When we provide you with personal advice, which is advice that takes into account one or more of your objectives, financial situations and/or needs, we will provide you with a Statement of Advice (“SOA”).
The SOA will include information about the basis on which the advice is given and information about costs and expenses involved and the implementation of that advice (including the financial impact of replacing any products you currently hold), the remuneration & benefits we are likely to obtain and any relationships, associations, or interests that we may have that could reasonably be regarded as capable of influencing our advice.
In circumstances where further advice is provided to you, and we have determined that there has not been a significant difference in your circumstances, needs or objectives – or that there is no significant difference in the basis of the advice we will provide as compared to the previous advice we provided you - we may create a Record of Advice (“ROA”) instead of providing you a SOA document.
We may forward this ROA to you or merely retain it on your client file if you prefer. You have the right to request a copy of the ROA within seven (7) years of the further advice being provided to you.
In the event we make a recommendation to acquire a particular financial product or offer to issue or arrange the issue of a financial product (other than a financial product listed on a licensed market such as the ASX), we must also provide you with a Product Disclosure Statement (“PDS”) containing information about the particular product which will help you to make an informed decision relating to acquisition of that product.
We are a Corporate Authorised Representative of AFD, holder of an Australian Financial Services Licence (AFSL 344971). AFD has approved the issuing of this FSG and is ultimately responsible for the financial services that will be provided to you by us.
AFD’s contact details are:
Australian Financial Directions Pty Ltd
Level 1, 197 Adelaide Terrace EAST PERTH WA 6004
PO Box 6222 EAST PERTH WA 6892
Phone: (08) 6556 2992
While we will always seek to meet our legal obligations to act in our clients’ best interests within the meaning of section 961B of the corporations Act 2001, we do not fall within the definitions of “independent”, “unbiased” or “impartial” under section 923A. The reason we do not fall within these definitions is because we give our clients the option to allow life insurance companies to pay us commissions for the services that we provide to our clients rather than for us to be required to directly invoice our clients and for our clients to be required to pay us directly. We remain committed to continue to give our clients this important choice.
What questions should I ask?
Before you consider any financial product or advice, whether given by us or some other Advisor, you should always ask yourself the following questions.
· Who is my Advisor?
· What qualifications does my Advisor have?
· What financial services are available to me?
· How is my Advisor renumerated?
· How will I pay for the financial service?
Information relating to the above questions is contained in the Advisor Profile below.
Deposit and Payment Products
Deposit and Payment Products - Non-basic Deposit Products
Deposit and Payment Products - Non-Cash Deposit Products
Investment Life Insurance Products
Life Risk Insurance Products
[Personal Insurance Policies - Life Insurance | Total Permanent Disability (TPD) | Critical Illness (Trauma) | Income Protection]
[Business Insurance Policies - Key-Person Insurance | Buy & Sell Cover | Shareholder Protection Policies | Business Expenses Insurance | Loan Protection Insurance]
Managed Investment Schemes
Managed Investment Schemes, including IDPS [Investor Directed Portfolio Service]
[Restrictions - Managed Investment Schemes are limited to those Product Providers contained on the Licensee's Approved Product List.]
Retirement Savings Account Products
Retirement Savings Account Products
Superannuation – All
The products we recommend are selected from our approved list of products and they have been researched by product review panel.
How will my information be treated?
Your privacy is important to us but in order to provide you with a financial service, we may need to find out your individual objectives, financial situation and needs before we recommend any financial product to you. You have the right not to divulge this information to us if you do not wish to do so. In that case, we are required to warn you about the possible consequences of us not having your full personal information. You should read the warnings carefully.
We keep a record of the personal information you provide to us, which may include details of your investment objectives, financial situation, and particular needs. On your request, we can provide you with a copy of that and advice documents, which we keep on record for no less than 7 years. Please note that there may be a fee for this service.
If you wish to examine your file, you should ask us, and we can make arrangements for you to do so.
Does my Advisor have a relationship with any Product Provider?
The short answer is NO. Neither us, your Advisor or AFD has an ownership, relationship or interest with the issuers of financial products that might reasonably be expected to be capable of influencing us in the provision of financial services.
What will I receive from my Advisor?
Do I get detailed information about the remuneration and other benefits my Advisor gets from making the recommendations?
Yes. You have the right to know about details of the remuneration and or other benefits your Advisor receives for recommending financial products. We will provide this information to you in this FSG, and more detailed information related to specific financial products when we make specific recommendations in the SOA or ROA.
Will you give me advice that is suitable to my needs, objectives and financial circumstances?
We will do so when you request personal advice from us. To be able to do so we need to find out your individual objectives, financial situation and needs before we recommend any financial product to you in the context of personal advice. You have the right not to divulge this information to us if you do not wish to do so. In that case, we would be required to warn you about the possible consequences of us not having your full personal information. You should read the warnings carefully.
What should I know about any risks of the financial products or investment strategies recommended to me?
We will explain to you any significant risks of the financial products and strategies that we recommend to you. If you require further information or clarification about the issue, you should ask us.
What if I wish to make a complaint?
We are committed to providing quality financial services to our clients. This commitment extends to providing accessible complaint resolution mechanisms for our clients. If you have any complaint about the service provided to you, you should take the following steps:
(1) Contact your Advisor first to see if the matter can be resolved.
(2) Should you find that the matter has not been (or could not be) resolved, please contact the AFD’s Complaints Officer by phone ((08) 6556 2992), email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or by post (PO Box 6222, EAST PERTH WA 6892).
AFD will endeavour to resolve your complaint quickly & fairly and within the parameters of our Disputes Resolution procedures. However, if a satisfactory resolution cannot be reached, you can raise your concerns with the
Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA)
GPO Box 3, MELBOURNE VIC 3001
Telephone: 1800 931 678 (free call)
We are a member of AFCA’s complaints resolution scheme. The Australian Securities & Investments Commission (“ASIC”) also has a free call Info line on 1300 300 630 which you may use to make a complaint or obtain information about your rights.
Do you have compensation arrangements in place?
We have in place Professional Indemnity (PI) insurance in relation to the services we, our Advisors and employees provide to you. Subject to the policy’s terms & conditions, coverage can also extend to former Advisors and employees involved with the financial services that they, at the time, provided to you.
Who is my Advisor?
Norma Falconer is an Authorised Representative (No: 001243315) of AFD. Norma Falconer provides Financial Services pursuant to an Agreement with Think Capital Pty Ltd, which is the Corporate Authorised Representative (No. 001278398) and AFD.
What are my Advisor’s qualifications?
Norma Falconer has worked in the financial services industry since 1989, and been providing advice since 1995. She joined AFD in 2021 as a Sub-Authorised Representative.
Norma Falconer holds the following qualifications
· Graduate Diploma of Financial Planning [Deakin University]
o Ethics [Passed with distinction]
o Financial Behaviour & Decision Making [Passed with distinction]
· Accredited Listed Adviser Program [Kaplan Professional]
o Direct Equities
· Diploma of Financial Planning [Monarch Institute]
· RE5: Regulatory Examination Certificate [Financial Services Board]
· RE1: First level Regulatory Examination: FSPs (Sole Proprietors) and Key Individuals in Categories1 [Financial Services Board]
· Stockbroking and Portfolio Management [South African Institute of Financial Markets (SAIFM)]
· Registered persons exam (Equities)
· Regulations of South African Financial Markets
· Introduction to Financial Markets
· National Certificate NQF 6 [Academy of Financial Markets]
· Financial Markets & Instruments (Investments) Cum Laude [Distinction]
· Financial Markets & Instruments (Wealth Management) Cum Laude [Distinction]
· Post Graduate Diploma Financial Planning [University of the Free State]
· Certified Financial Planner®
· AAUT (qualification in Collective Investment Schemes NQF 5) [Boston City Campus]
Designation | Issuing Authority | Number
· Authorised Representative | ASIC | 1243315
· Tax (Financial) Adviser | Tax Practitioner’s Board | 26005820
· FASEA accredited | FASEA | 06/04/2020
· Certified Financial Planner® | FPI | 102254
With these qualifications and experience, Norma Falconer is well qualified to help clients to achieve their financial goals.
What Financial Services are available to me?
Norma is authorised to provide financial product advice to clients and deal in:
· Deposit and payment products
· Retirement Savings accounts
· Life Investment or Life Risk Products
· Interests in Managed Investment Schemes, including investor directed portfolio services [IDPS]
The services Norma offers to clients include:
· Strategic Financial Planning Advice
· Personal Financial Product Advice
· General Financial Product Advice
· Estate planning advice
· Debt management
· Personal insurance strategies
· Life Insurance
· Total Permanent Disability (TPD)
· Critical Illness (Trauma)
· Income Protection
· Budget and cash flow planning
· Advice on ownership and structures, e.g. discretionary and family trusts
· Business insurance strategies
· Key-Person Insurance
· Buy-Sell Cover
· Shareholder Protection Policies
· Business Expenses Insurance
· Loan Protection Insurance
· Investment strategies including investment and savings plans, ASX listed securities
· Portfolio review services
· Ongoing Advisory services
· Superannuation advice, including salary sacrifice and consolidation strategies
· Retirement planning advice
· Centrelink / DVA advice
· Referrals to specialists, e.g., accountants, mortgage brokers, general insurance brokers, stockbrokers and solicitors
What remuneration does my Advisor receive?
Norma is remunerated by one or more of the following methods outlined below and will be outlined further in your Advice Document.
Fee for service
If you pay a fee for service to the Licensee (AFD), they may pay 100% of these fees to us. Norma will disclose this to you at the time of providing you with advice. This includes disclosure of the amounts that Norma AFD or us may each receive as a result of providing a financial service to you.
Remuneration from Product and/or Service Providers
AFD may receive remuneration from product and/or service providers who in turn may pay a proportion of this to us. Norma will disclose, at the time he provides you advice, the amounts that Norma, AFD or us may each receive (if any) as a result of providing a financial service to you.
Norma may be paid a salary based on their experience and capability.
Norma may be eligible to receive a bonus, based on a combination of revenue and other non-financial measures that relate to compliance, staff training and the quality of service.
If Norma is entitled to any other benefits, these will be disclosed.
How will I pay for the Financial Service?
There are various ways that you may pay for the services that are provided. They are:
Fee for service
A fee for service may be payable for the following services:
· Preparation of advice and implementation
· Ongoing Advisor services
· Initial advice
· Ongoing review and Advisor services
The fee for service may be determined by any of the following:
1. An hourly rate of $220 – $550 per hour (including GST) depending on the complexity of your circumstances.
2. An agreed fee.
3. A percentage of funds under advice, excluding borrowed funds) depending on the complexity of your circumstances of up to 2.2% (including GST) depending on the complexity of your circumstances; or
4. A combination of any of the above.
Initial and On-going Fees
The initial fees for investment type financial products can range between 0% and up to 5% of the value of the funds at the time while on-going fees may range between 0.25% p.a. and up to 1.00 p.a.%. For example, for an investment of $10,000 in a managed superannuation investment paying 4% initial fee and 1.00 % p.a. on-going fee, the upfront fee would be $400, and the on-going fee would be $100 per year.
The upfront fee for risk insurance financial products can range between 0 % and 60 % of the premium in the first year depending on the product provider, while on-going fee may range between 0 % and 20 % p.a. For example, on an insurance premium of $1,000 paying 50% initial fee and 20% on-going fee, the upfront fee would be $500 and the on-going fee would be $200 per year.
A combination of Fee for Service and remuneration from a Product or Service Provider
A combination of fee for service and remuneration from a product or service provider may be payable. If this is the case, it will be disclosed to you at the time Norma provides you with advice.
In any event, Norma will obtain your agreement to the arrangement prior to proceeding.
Remuneration from Product and/or Service Providers
As outlined above, at the time Norma provides you with advice, any remuneration that Norma, AFD or us may receive from product or service providers will be disclosed to you.
We need to collect personal information about you to provide you with a financial service or product. This Privacy Statement summarises how we collect your information, what we use the information for and who we share the information with. If we collect information that can be used to identify you, we will take reasonable steps to notify you of that collection.
How information is collected from you
We will collect your information from you directly whenever we can, like from enquiries we make of you when you seek a financial service from us. We may verify that information from sources referred to in the responses to those enquiries or in this privacy statement.
How information is collected from other sources
Sometimes we will collect information about you from other sources as the Privacy Act 1988 permits. We will do this only if it’s reasonably necessary to do so, for example, where:
· we collect information from third parties about a financial service or product in relation to which you seek our services;
· we are unable to contact you and we rely on public information to update your contact details; or
· we exchange information with your legal or financial advisers or other representatives.
When the law authorises or requires collection of information
Some law may require us to collect personal information about you. For example, we may require your information to verify your identity under Australian Anti-Money Laundering law.
How your information may be used
We may use your information for purposes including:
· giving you financial advice;
· giving you information about a financial product or related services;
· considering whether you are eligible for financial product or any related service you requested;
· assisting you to prepare an application for a financial product;
· administering services we provide, for example, to answer requests or deal with complaints;
· administering payments we receive, or any payments we make, relating to your financial product;
· identifying you;
· telling you about other products or services we make available and that may be of interest to you, unless you tell us not to;
· telling you about other suppliers, with whom we have arrangements, that supply goods or services that may be of interest to you, unless you tell us not to;
· allowing us to run our business efficiently and perform general administrative tasks;
· preventing or investigating any fraud or crime or any suspected fraud or crime;
· as required by law, regulation or codes binding us; and
· any purpose to which you have consented.
You can let us know at any time if you no longer wish to receive direct marketing offers from us. We will process your request as soon as practicable.
What happens if you don’t provide information
If you don’t provide your information to us, it may not be possible to:
· assist in finding a financial product relevant to your circumstances;
· verify your identity or protect against fraud; or
· let you know about products or services that might be suitable for your financial needs.
Sharing Your Information
We may use and share your information with other organisations for any purpose described above.
Sharing with your representatives and referees
We may share your information with:
· your representative or any person acting on your behalf (for example, lawyers, settlement agents, accountants or real estate agents); and
· your referees, like your employer, to confirm details about you.
Sharing with third parties
We may share your information with third parties in relation to services we provide to you or goods or services in which we reasonably consider you may be interested. Those third parties may include:
· the product providers through whom we may submit your application;
· Australian Financial Directions Pty Ltd, holder of an Australian Financial Services Licence (AFSL 344971), that authorises us to engage in financial service activities;
· referrers that referred your business to us;
· financial services suppliers with whom we have arrangements;
· product providers, brokers, investment advisers, security dealers and other loan or lease intermediaries;
· organisations, like fraud reporting agencies, that may identify, investigate and/or prevent fraud, suspected fraud, crimes, suspected crimes, or other misconduct;
· government or regulatory bodies as required or authorised by law. In some instances, these bodies may share the information with relevant foreign authorities;
· guarantors and prospective guarantors of your financial services product;
· service providers, agents, contractors and advisers that assist us to conduct our business;
· any organisation that wishes to take an interest in our business or assets; and
· any third party to which you consent to us sharing your information.
Sharing outside of Australia
Whilst we are not likely to share/disclose your information to overseas third parties, we may store your information in a cloud-based or other types of networked or electronic storage platform. Irrespective, we will first seek your consent prior to sharing with or disclosing your information to any overseas third party.
Information about other people
If you give information to us about another person (like your co-applicant) in relation to the services we provide, you will let that other person know that:
· we have collected their information to provide those services or for any other purpose set out in this privacy statement;
· we may exchange this information with other organisations set out in this privacy statement;
- access the information we hold about that other person,
by using our contact details above; and
· we may not be able to provide those services to you unless we obtain their information.
You can find out more about how we manage your information by contacting us.